When I got back online after our Thanksgiving weekend out of town, I expected to find just a bunch of spam comments waiting for me. That’s typical with my new little blog.
I had plenty of spam, but I was also pleasantly surprised to have a comment from Amanda Michelle at Well-Groomed Home letting me know that she had nominated me for a Liebster Award. Thanks so much, Amanda! Sorry it has taken me some time to accept and get this post up.
First I had to research the Liebster Award to find out what it was all about. Lorraine Reguly’s blog, Wording Well, was a great resource for some background information. I learned the Liebster Award is a way for bloggers to recognize other new bloggers. It’s a nice way to support the blogging community and pay it forward, so I’m happy to participate.
Liebster Award Rules
- Thank the blogger who presented you with the Liebster Award, and link back to his or her blog.
- Answer the questions from the nominator, list 11 random facts about yourself, and create 11 questions for your nominees.
- Present the Liebster Award to several other bloggers, who have blogs with 200 followers or less, whom you feel deserve to be noticed. Leave a comment on the blogs letting the owners know they have been chosen.
- Upload the Liebster Award image to your blog.
First up: answers to Amanda’s questions
1. If you didn’t blog what would you do with all your spare time? If I wasn’t blogging, I may have started that novel I’ve been dreaming of writing all my life. I’m still refining my novel ideas in my head, though, so I’m happy to spend time learning about blogging right now.
2. Cat or dog person? Or both? I like both but have no pets. One of my kids is allergic to anything with fur. He desperately wants a cute, snuggly pet, but it’s just not an option.
3. What is your most prized possession? As far as *stuff* goes, I guess the only things that are irreplaceable are our family photos and videos. I would never want to lose those!
4. What is your most favorite post you have written (please link)? I liked writing about our recent family visit to New York City. It was so fun and I enjoyed reminiscing about it in this post.
5. Describe yourself in three words. Optimistic. Practical. Dependable. Hmm – these sound boring, but they’re good qualities for a mom. I asked my kids and they said things like nice, caring, and fun. I like how they describe me better!
6. What is one skill or hobby you have that is totally opposite from blogging? I love traveling and flower gardening. Maybe I should specify that I love planting beautiful flowers and watching them grow. I’m not as quite as thrilled about the weeding part after they’re planted.
7. What do you love / hate about social media? Love the connection to people / hate when people get mean.
8. What are your future plans or goals for blogging? I haven’t monetized my blog yet, so that’s the next step in making it sustainable.
9. Who is your biggest influence? As far as blogging, I would say that Pinterest was a big influence, providing easy access to a great variety of blogs and content. It helped me decide I wanted to join the fun!
10. Laptop or desktop? Mac or PC? I currently use a desktop PC, but I’m considering a laptop as a Christmas present to myself. I like the flexibility of a laptop to work anywhere. Plus, my kids need the computer more and more for schoolwork, and sometimes it’s hard for everyone to share!
11. If you could have any super power what would you choose? It would have to be the ability to fly like Superman or The Flash. I love to visit new places, but sitting through the actual travelling part takes too long! If I could be there quickly, traveling would be so much better – and I would be able to go everywhere!
Next: 11 random facts about me
- My favorite food is strawberry shortcake.
- My kids always want me to pick my favorite color but I just can’t. They’re all beautiful in their own way!
- I still like to read *real* books. It’s easier these days to just load books to an e-reader, but that’s not how I like to experience reading.
- I can’t whistle.
- London is my favorite place I’ve visited. I love the combination of history and modern city life.
- I love botanical gardens. I look for them everywhere we go and then try to convince the rest of my family that it would be great fun for all of them if we visit.
- I’m just a little over five feet tall.
- I wish I was taller – I would like to reach things without needing a boost from a stool so often!
- I took clarinet lessons for a year in grade school but got tired of practicing and quit playing. I wish I would have kept with it. I would love to be able to play the clarinet now.
- I’m a night owl who wants to be more of a morning person.
- I wish I lived closer to the beach.
Finally: My nominees and questions
I had to do some searching to find other new bloggers to nominate. I’ve enjoyed reading new blogs and wish them all the best as they grow. My nominees are:
- Love, Melinda
- The Things I’ve Made
- Texas Crafty Kitchen
- One Oak Lane
This Liebster Award does require a bit of work, but it was a fun way to engage more in the blogging world as a newbie. That being said, there’s no pressure for anyone to accept. Everyone’s busy this time of year!
Here are my 11 questions:
- What is your favorite book or movie, and why?
- What is one thing you can’t live without?
- What is your favorite place to visit – or the place you most want to visit?
- If you had the money to do anything you wanted for yourself, what would be the first thing you did?
- What season makes you happiest?
- What’s your favorite holiday?
- Are you a sports fan?
- What’s your preferred social media?
- Do you have a schedule for blogging, or do you just write posts when you’re inspired?
- What inspires you?
- What is the best piece of advice you read/received for starting a new blog?
Thank you so much for the nomination! I’m honored.
You’re welcome! I enjoyed visiting your blog and love your Christmas card ideas!
Thank you for the nomination! I haven’t forgotten about it, but the Holidays took over and I’m now getting back to the blogging world once again. I will be paying-it-forward soon!
You’re welcome! I know it was a busy time of year for it. All the best to you in 2014!
Hi! I am leaving this comment because I would like for you to update your Liebster Award post with the correct link. I am going to be deleting my old site (Lorraine Reguly’s Life) and so would really appreciate it if you could update your post with a link to Wording Well. This is my new site, and because I have moved my “old” post to my “new” site, you will be left with a broken link if you don’t change it. I don’t want this to happen! Besides, http://wordingwell.com/the-liebster-award-the-official-rules-my-first-blog-award-and-a-few-personal-secrets-revealed/ is still the same post it always was, but the domain name has changed. This may not seem like a big deal to you, but it is to me. The internet is forever – or at least until we change things, so, please, can you change this for me? (Thanks!)
Thanks for letting me know about the link change, Lorraine. I’ve updated it in the post. All the best with your new site – love the name!