With the beginning of summer tomorrow, it’s officially potato salad season.
I love potato salad. It’s a favorite comfort food year round, but I think summer and potato salad go together like peanut butter and chocolate – both great on their own, but even better when they’re together! I guess they go together in my mind because we always had potato salad as a side dish for our family cookouts when I was growing up.
The problem with some potato salads, in my opinion, is too much mayo. Sometimes the potatoes are swimming in mayo, and that’s too heavy for my taste.
Because I like my potato salad on the lighter side, I’ve adapted my recipe to give me that perfect potato salad taste while saving on some fat and calories.
Red potato salad – light recipe
3 pounds red potatoes
1/4 cup diced green onions (may increase this to 1/2 cup, depending on your preference for green onions)
1 cup light mayonnaise (I like light Hellman’s mayo – also known as Best Foods if you’re west of the Rockies)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or use white)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 eggs, hard boiled
- Add salted water to a large pot (enough water to cover the potatoes you will add).
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add whole potatoes (unpeeled) and cook until tender. Cooking time is about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes.
- As potatoes are cooking, dice the green onions and hard boil the eggs.
- Combine the green onions, light mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, celery salt, celery seed, and pepper in a bowl.
- Drain cooked potatoes and let cool.
- Peel and slice the hard boiled eggs.
- Cube the cooled potatoes.
- Combine the potatoes and the mayonnaise sauce. I like to layer in the mayo mixture into the bowl as I cube the potatoes so it mixes easily.
- Toss in the sliced eggs.
- Chill and serve.
This potato salad recipe is a great side item to take for pot luck meals. Enjoy!
This potato salad recipe is linked at some of these link parties.Thanks for stopping by! You can also find me here: